Tuesday, October 01, 2019

Latest spinning

i have been steadily spinning, but not posting much lately. About a year and a half ago, I found a lady selling some really nice alpaca and angora blend. I don't know the percentage -- maybe only 5% angora -- it doesn't take much to make a difference. There is only the slightly feeling of slickness, and just a hint of white in the fawn colour of the alpaca. It is lovely to touch at any rate!! I spin it all with my spindle, of course. When the big bag was all used up, I plyed it and got three skeins of it. Of course, it had to be very fine! Well, that's what it wanted to be! The fibre is so soft and fine, the singles were really very fine... almost could not see it sometimes .. and the final yarn was just very fine. I didn't know what I was going to do with it! So here are some pics of the yarns I spun up. That is a dime under the yarn -- just for comparison.
Then I went back to her and bought another big bag of the stuff. And then spent a few months spinning it. I had so much fun with it! It is really nice stuff!
And then earlier this spring, I went to her again, but she didn't have any blended. So I just bought a big bag of straight alpaca. It's nice enough as it is. I spun it up as well.
I have no idea why I do these things... the yarn is much too fine for any practical purpose. But something will come up.

No comments: