Wednesday, April 22, 2009

It's Spring ---

We have had a really long winter. We got spoiled here, because of the Chinooks, and because winters have been rather short in the past. But this year was very odd... although most old-timers will tell you this is quite normal.

So the snow has finally all disappeared -- there was no run-off oddly. It just seemed to evaporate! I think a lot has soaked into the ground, which is a good thing. Our water table was quite low. We still need a lot of rain, and I suspect we will get that in May.

The last few days have been absolutely wonderful! Yesterday, it went up all the way to +21.4C -- which is pretty darned nice. I loved it! I had to go out at noon to warm up...it was colder inside than outside!

Of course, that was yesterday. Today is a different day, different story. It is +2C right now at noon. Oh, I am not going out for lunch today! And it is getting colder. They are expecting more of that white stuff this evening -- the weather-man is calling it "flurries". Oooh.. I don't like that word!
[Edit: This is a view out my window about 9 am]
Here is a pic of that same view at 4 pm today. Crazy, huh?

I've been spinning a lot lately, just to keep myself occupied. I take my spindle with me when I have some waiting to do, as I do often. And little by little, I have accumulated a lot of singles. So last week, I went on a plying binge, and plied up almost that was lying around. I could do that while watching movies so I didn't feel as if I was wasting my time!

So these skeins were piling up, and last night I decided I may as well wash them all and put them away. I always wash my yarns when I have plied them, before using them. I filled my tub (I had a lot) with hot soapy water, and then threw them all in, and walked away. It's very important to go away and resist the temptation to touch. I had some lunch, and then came back to see what they were doing. Well the water was fairly brown (I had a lot of brown this time) and the suds were all gone. I squeezed them all out (so many) and filled the tub for the rinse. Again I walked away for a few moments.

I squeezed them out, rolled them up in many towels (there were a lot) and then hung them up to dry. Whew! I counted 17 skeins. About 10 were all spindle spun and plied. The others were wheel-spun and plied. They were mostly dry this morning, but I will leave them until tonight. I will twist them up into skeins again, and put them into a box. I have some plans for all this brown, and I'll see how far I get with it. I have to take a look at all the browns I have, see what I can make with that combination. I'll have pics another time.

So I have not been idle. Just busy. I have great intentions about posting things here, but by the time I get home, I've forgotten that it was only written in my head! I need to learn how to download them from my brain to here. Anyone have the appropriate USB connection?

4 comments:

Mel said...

I think the warmest we've gotten so far is about 20.5C, but that's not so unusual being coastal and I think we're pretty well past any real danger of frost. Time to start getting the garden put together.

Alwen said...

Today it shot up to 28 C here! We just had chilly rain and even a bit of snow on Tuesday.

I couldn't even stay out in it, it was just too hot for my used-to-winter blood.

Now it's windy and gusting and threatening to thunderstorm.

Edward said...

Thant reminds me of my home area. Living by the lake the weather changes very rapidly. But as of now we are really done with the snow.

Der Geezer von Tampadorf said...

Hey Stud ! ! ! Glad to see you're still around. I think of you often and wonder how you're doing. Glad to see you haven't given up the spindle or the wheel.

New email addy:
mike.keach@gmail.com

Last one (of 12 years) migrated to a new host and dumped my account. Not a happy camper . . .

Hugs to you, as always. We've GOT to do lunch . . . =^D

~Mike in Tampadorf