In my cleaning up after the flood, I found this bag of some alpaca-merino blend. I had completely forgotten about it. I can't remember where I got it, but it appears to be from a farm that no longer produces alpaca fibres.
It sure does feel yummy!! So I had to spin it up! I used my wheel for this, since I felt guilty that it was being neglected. It wanted to be spun fine, of course, so I just let it. I filled one bobbin, and then another. When it came time to ply, I put them on my lazy kate, only to realize that they were different shades. That is, one ball was noticeably darker than the other. I could clearly see the difference! But it all came from the same roving. The only thing it could be was it was not uniformly blended, and there were some darker fibres at one end.
As I plied, I could see the barber-pole effect. I didn't like this at all! I was still so shocked to see that there was this much of a difference in one roving! I didn't realize it could happen like this. But I continued on.
When it was all done, and I wound my skein, I thought there is some of it missing. Surely, I must have had more. It seems so little to come from this bag. I haven't weighed it, but I think I had perhaps 225 gm... but I don't know for sure. After I washed the skein, the colours seem to have subdued somewhat, and it looks alright. There is a slight difference which only seems to add some dimension to an otherwise plain skein of alpaca. It's not too bad after all. I wish there was more, although I think I have quite a bit of metres out of this one. I still am not sure what I will do with it, but as I was spinning and plying, it seemed to be telling me it wanted to be a shawl of some kind, and in lace naturally. Shall wait and see what becomes of this. In the meantime, here's a pic of this new skein in my collection.