Quite some time ago, a lady I know was given some yarn by a weaver that wasn't going to be using them. They are on cones, some of them very large! They are very fine, and in the most awful colours you can imagine! We have no idea what she was weaving with these yarns, because they are very fine.
But this lady didn't want them either, so she gave them to me! I thought I might be able to do something with them, but I sure didn't care for the colours. Nothing really went with anything else, nor could I find anything that would work with them. Very strange colours.
So one day, when I was really bored, I took a box of those yarns, and thought I would combine several coordinating yarns into one large yarn and knit something with them -- perhaps a rug or something along that line. But I just couldn't find many that would work together!
I decided on making two yarns: one is a lighter orange brown, and the other a dark brown. I took three of the lighter shades to use as one, and there were two brown yarns that I used for the darker shade. I was going to knit something in garter stitch -- perhaps a scarf knit the long way.
I grabbed a needle that I thought would work with these yarns, and cast on. I don't know how many stitches -- I didn't count -- but when it looked like there were enough, I started knitting! I decided I would alternate colours every two rows. That would give a clean row of a colour from the right side... but there would be those little blips on the back side. Oh, well.
I wouldn't cut the yarns at the end of the rows but just carry it up the side. And that worked quite well. The knitting was just plain knit all the time... very boring, but I could do that while watching a movie. In time, it slowly took shape. Despite using three yarns as one, it still took a long time to complete even one row!
This is the scarf. Trying to get the colours accurate, and still show the stitching was most difficult. It's still not quite correct, but comes close. I don't know what kind of fibres these are, but probably some sort of acrylic. It feels quite nice despite that.
The front shows nice clean lines of colour. The back side is also in rows, although not quite as distinct, but pleasing nonetheless. It was a fun knit (albeit somewhat tedious), and I will do another with other yarns. There are a couple of other ideas I have using this same principle, but I need to work on it a little before I get something completed. It's odd how the perfect design in my head doesn't quite work that way once it is made up in yarns!